Angolan Feijoada - Papy Mpanda
1 night soaking + 3 hours
Ingredients (for 4 people):
- 400 g dried white beans (cannellini, butter beans, etc.)
- 1 sausage weighing 200 g
- 200 g ham
- 500 g pork leg
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6 piri peppers, finely chopped
- 250 g chorizo, sliced
- 1 dl olive oil
- 250 g turnip greens
- 3 sliced carrots
- 3 ripe tomatoes, cut into pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bunch of parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper
1. Check the beans and remove any that have gone bad or stones. Rinse them and let them soak overnight. Drain the beans and put them in a heavy-bottomed pan. Cover with about 2 centimetres of water and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat to low and cook, partially covered, for 1 to 2 hours until the beans are soft.
2. Meanwhile, heat about 2 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan. Season the meat pieces with a little salt, fry them brown on all sides and set aside. Add the garlic, onion and chillies to the oil and fry until softened, for 5-6 minutes. Add the chorizo to the pan, as well as the ham and pork. Sauté for another 2 minutes, then add a little water to prevent the meat from burning, turn down the heat and simmer, covered, until the meat is done.
3. Once the beans are soft, add the carrots, tomatoes, turnip greens and bay leaves and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Add the meat mixture, the parsley and the remaining olive oil to the pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer for another 30 minutes.
Tip: Serve with rice.
Packaging is an art. Just ask our 48-year-old colleague Papy! At the Covameat packaging department, he makes sure that all products are placed correctly on the pallets after they have been packaged to ensure that they arrive at our customers in impeccable condition. On top of these perfectly stacked products, he also treats his colleagues and customers to a beaming smile! Papy told us that the dish he is presenting is always a big winner at family festivities and gatherings of friends.